Did you know that the WHS Act has recently been independently reviewed?
The WHS Independent Review has recently been completed with a total of 34 recommendations made by the Review.
Caroline Graham, WHS Manager from Safe Ag Systems has read the review and Identified the recommendations that may require consideration in your safety system.
A key message throughout the review is that the business MUST;
Provide and maintain a safe work environment
Identify risks, develop effective safety measures and manage their implementation indefinitely
Be responsible for health and safety not only to your employees – but to anyone who enters your workplace, including contractors and visitors
We know that we always try to keep everyone safe. What we are not great at is keeping records related to communication, training, identifying risks and ensuring workers are provided with clear instructions.
Not just because it makes perfect sense to do so. But because it’s the law.
A critical component of a safety system is a Safe Work Procedure (sometimes called a Safe Operating Procedure) and Inductions. Using SWP’s and Inductions in the workplace achieve 4 important legal requirements. They;
- Demonstrate that you are providing clear instructions to your workers
- Are a mini training tool every-time a worker reads them
- They identify risk and appropriate ways to work safely
- They invite communication about safety between workers and employers
Having Inductions and Safe Work Procedures in place will help train your employees to work safely, help identify risks and hazards and, importantly, help demonstrate to safety regulators that your company is committed to improving safety in your workplace.
How will the WHS Act Independent review affect you?
These links will lead to the recommendation:
- Increase penalty levels
- Introduction of industrial manslaughter to the WHS Act
- Removal of right to seek indemnity from insurer
- Clarify the definition of a PCBU
- Are you an independent contractor or do you use contractors?
- Can I afford to do something?
- Duty related to consultation and communication
- Incident notification
- Request for prosecution